If you are researching your property on your own, here are some good sources that can help.
Collin County Clerk’s Office, 2300 Bloomdale Rd., McKinney, TX 75071 (The Courthouse)
- Information about legal description of your property
- Deed search to find previous owners
McKinney Public Library, 101 E. Hunt St., McKinney, TX 75069
- Sanborn Maps that show building footprints
- Courier-Gazette on microfiche
- Historical phone books
Collin County History Museum, 300 E. Virginia St., McKinney, TX 75069
- Historical photos
- Self-published books about Collin County
- Search area newspaper by year and keyword
- Find obituaries of historical people
- Finding the final resting place of nearyly anyone
- Find histories and photos
- Find geneologies and census records of people
Check out these helpful books
- “A Field Guide to American Houses” by Virgiania and Lee McAlester, 1984.
- “The Way It All Began,” by Helen Gibbard Hall, Collin County Historical Society, 2006.
- “Collin County, Texas, Families,” by Alice Pitts and Minnie Champ, Curtis Media, 1994.
- “The First 150 Years” by Julia L Vargo,” Downing Co. Publisher, 1997.
- “A History of Collin County” by J. Lee and Lillian Stambaugh, 1958.